To celebrate National Oreo Day, I made Oreo cupcakes. And I wanted to keep the Oreo theme going, so made some super-yummy Oreo Buttercream frosting. It was the perfect finishing touch!
This recipe takes a pretty standard buttercream frosting and adds crushed Oreos. I've made this with both standard Oreos and Double Stuf. The Double Stuf will have more filling and will really increase the sweetness of the frosting - like you needed that!
I think I prefer it with regular Oreos but you do you! It gets rave reviews either way.
- Heavy whipping cream (or milk)
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
How to make the cookies and cream frosting
Start with softened butter. I like to whip this with a hand mixer to make sure its smooth, then start adding the other ingredients.
Add one cup of powdered sugar and one tablespoon whipping cream and mix in thoroughly. Add vanilla and repeat with powdered sugar and cream.
If a little more frosting is desired you can add up to another cup of powdered sugar and a tablespoon of cream. I typically maintain these proportions for buttercream frosting.
For Oreo buttercream frosting, I like to add additional cream, up to one more tablespoon. (Less if you use Double Stuf) This will make the frosting more loose/wet. The reason for this is that adding crushed Oreos introduces another dry ingredient. So you need a little extra moisture to even it all out.
Hopefully this is not too confusing. Here was the bottom line for me: For this batch, I used 2 ½ cups powdered sugar and 3 ½ tablespoons whipping cream. This made the frosting ready to absorb those Oreo cookie crumbs.
Then of course, you add the crushed Oreos. I like to fold these in, using a spatula. Your hand mixer will work fine, but I like to get a feel for the texture of my frosting while mixing and using a spatula here works well for that.
Uses for this Oreo Buttercream frosting
As I said, I use it for topping Oreo cupcakes. But don't stop there!
This would be great on white or chocolate cupcakes. Or use it for a cake!
Just keep in mind that this recipe is designed for about 12 cupcakes, so if you're making more, or a full sized layer cake, you will need to scale up the proportions. Because you don't want to have to skimp!
This frosting will be a new favorite!
Oreo Buttercream frosting
- 6 Oreo cookies, crushed or 12 halves – see note
- ½ cup butter 1 stick, softened
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar
- 2-4 Tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Begin beating softened butter with a hand mixer. Add one cup powdered sugar and mix well. Add one tablespoon cream and mix in.
- Add vanilla, then repeat with another cup of powdered sugar and tablespoon of cream. Adjust with more powdered sugar and/or cream to get the amount and consistency you desire. Keep in mind that you will be adding dry, powdery cookies so you might want the frosting to be a little more “wet” than your typical buttercream. (i.e. add a little more cream)
- Add the crushed Oreos to the bowl and fold in. Use on your favorite baked goods!
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.