Deliciously made with easy to find ingredients
- ¾ cup brown rice
- ½ pound skinless boneless chicken breast halves - cubed
- ½ pound bulk Italian sausage
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 TB butter
- ½ to 1 medium green pepper chopped (optional)
- 1 celery rib thinly sliced
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 can “pasta-ready” diced tomatoes undrained
- ¾ c chicken stock
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp hot pepper sauce
- ¼ - ½ pound uncooked medium shrimp - peeled deveined and chopped
Prepare rice by boiling in a saucepan with 2 quarts water for 30 minutes – drain.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet on medium heat, cook chicken, sausage and garlic in butter for 5 minutes. Add the green pepper, celery and onion; cook and stir until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender.
Stir in canned tomatoes, chicken stock and seasonings; heat through. Add the shrimp and rice; cover and simmer on very low heat for 50-60 minutes until the liquid is absorbed.
Serve with crusty garlic bread.
Calories: 349kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 123mg | Sodium: 830mg | Potassium: 471mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 243IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 73mg | Iron: 2mg
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.