Chicken breasts are an always popular dinner solution. So easy and versatile! The same goes for the air fryer - it makes meals faster and easier than ever before.
Now, you can make an easy stuffing for those chicken breasts to increase the flavor, the texture, and even the nutrition. And cooking them in the air fryer ensures you'll have dinner on the table in no time!
These stuffed breasts will have your family asking for them on repeat!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
These chicken breasts are filled with a creamy mixture of baby spinach, cream cheese, Parmesan, feta, and sun-dried tomatoes. The air fryer ensures that the chicken cooks to perfection – juicy on the inside and crispy on the outside. Plus, it's a healthier alternative to traditional frying, requiring minimal oil while still achieving that desirable crunch.
**Be sure to scroll to the recipe card for detailed quantities and directions**
👩🏻🍳How to Make Stuffed Chicken Breasts in the Air Fryer
To start, you need boneless skinless chicken breasts. This filling recipe will fill 3 small or 2 large breasts, or about a pound of meat total.
First, I like to chop the spinach, put it in a small bowl and then microwave it for a minute. This helps wilt it a little so it mixes into the filling better. Set it aside to cool slightly while you chop the sun dried tomatoes.
Place the softened cream cheese in a bowl with the feta and Parmesan cheese. Add the chopped sun-dried tomatoes and stir to mix.
Then add the wilted spinach and mix again.
Place the chicken breast flat on a cutting board and cut a pocket into the thick part of the breast. Be careful not to cut all the way through.
Now, fill the cavity you created with the cream cheese mixture.
Close the edges of the breast together and secure with toothpicks.
💭Tip: I try to use the same number of toothpicks in every breast I'm making so I know how many I need to remove once cooked. 😁
Brush the outside of the chicken breasts with olive oil or the flavored oil from the sun dried tomatoes. Oil both top and bottom of each breast.
In a small cup, mix the spices together: smoked paprika, salt, and black pepper. Sprinkle this lightly over the top surface of each chicken breast.
Place the stuffed chicken breasts in the air fryer basket. Air fry at 375F for 15 to 20 minutes. (Smaller breasts will be done in about 15 minutes, larger breasts will probably need the full 20)
💭If available, use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the meat - it should read at least 165F.
Remove the chicken to a plate, cover and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
📖Substitutions and Variations
- Cheese: Feel free to experiment with different cheese varieties for the filling, such as cheddar, mozzarella, or goat cheese.
- Spinach: If you're not a fan of spinach, you can use kale, Swiss chard, or arugula as a tasty alternative.
- Protein: Swap out chicken breasts for boneless chicken thighs if you prefer a richer and more tender meat. Making the pocket might be tricky for this, I recommend pounding the thigh flat, adding the filling, then folding the meat and securing with toothpicks.
Store any leftover stuffed chicken breasts in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, place them in the air fryer or microwave for a few minutes until warmed through.
Marinating is not at all necessary; the seasoning and filling provide plenty of flavor. However, if you have a favorite marinade, feel free to give it a try.
Absolutely! Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) and bake for approximately 25-30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
Air Fryer Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- ¾ cup baby spinach chopped
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese grated
- 2 tablespoons feta cheese crumbled
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes chopped (oil packed)
Chicken and seasoning
- 1 pound chicken breasts 2 large or 3 small
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Place the chopped spinach in a small bowl and microwave it for one minute on high. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a bowl, mix the softened cream cheese with the Parmesan, feta, and sun-dried tomatoes. Add in the spinach and stir to evenly distribute.
- With a sharp knife, cut lengthwise into the side of each chicken breast to form a pocket.
- Fill the pocket of each breast with the cream cheese filling and secure the open edge with toothpicks.
- Mix the paprika, salt, and pepper in a small cup. Sprinkle the seasoning mixture over the top of each breast.
- Lightly grease the air fryer basket by brushing with a little olive oil.
- Place the stuffed breast in the air fryer basket.
- Air fry at 375F for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the meat is at least 165F.
- Remove the cooked breasts to a plate and cover. Rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.