If you need a recipe sure to please, stuffed mushrooms work great. As in most of my recipes, I look for something that is easy and delivers great taste. That’s what I love about this recipe, courtesy of Pioneer Woman.
Here are the ingredients: Mushrooms (duh 😀), Brie cheese, onions, parsley and garlic. Oh, and butter…don’t forget the butter. So good.
I tried two different types of mushrooms for this: simple white button mushrooms, and Baby Bella or Cremini mushrooms. I fully expected the Cremini mushrooms to win the taste test, but after cooking I preferred the common white button mushrooms, both for flavor and texture. They’re also more affordable. Still, some may prefer “Baby Bella” and they are bigger. Go ahead: You choose.
To start, remove the mushroom stems and discard (This is not one of those recipes where you incorporate the stems in the stuffing).
The mushroom caps are sautéed a little to get the cooking process started and to deliciously coat them in butter. The caps are then arranged upside down (hollow side up) in a baking dish to be filled. Note: Don’t clean out the pan! That yummy butter is still needed!
Place the green onions, parsley and garlic in the buttered pan and lightly cook. Add a splash of white wine if you have some (Feel free to pour yourself a glass while you’re at it).
The onion-parsley topping only needs about a minute of cooking time, after which you will cut up the Brie. You want to use cheese with the rind removed, so start with a wedge of Brie instead of a full round. This makes life easier.
Cut the pieces of Brie to fit your mushrooms. Some will be bigger than others, all will be delicious.
Once all the caps have Brie, spread parsley topping over the top and then pop the pan in the oven for 15 minutes.
Once cooked, the Brie will be soft and melty and basically irresistible.
Allow the mushrooms to cool slightly and serve.
Brie Stuffed Mushrooms
- 1 package 8 oz White Button or “Baby Bella” Cremini Mushrooms, washed and stems removed
- 4 TB ½ stick butter
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
- 4 -5 whole green onions sliced (up to the middle of the dark green part)
- Splash Of white wine optional
- 1 wedge of Brie Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Melt butter in large saucepan. Add mushroom caps and toss to coat in butter. Sprinkle lightly with salt and cook for 1 minute. Remove mushrooms from pan and place upside down (hollow side up) in a baking dish.
- In the same saucepan (without cleaning it) put in garlic, parsley, and green onions. Sprinkle very lightly with salt and a splash of wine, if using. Stir until wine evaporates, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Cut rind off Brie wedge, then cut pieces of brie to fit each mushroom cap. Place inside cap, lightly pressing to anchor each piece of Brie.
- Top mushrooms with parsley/garlic mixture.
- Place into the oven for 15 minutes, or until Brie is melted.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
I love these Brie Stuffed Mushrooms!