I make this meal year-round, but it’s especially useful when you’ve got a bunch of leftover turkey.
I adapted this recipe from Pepperidge Farm years ago. The original calls for cooking halved chicken breasts and then wrapping each in a piece of puff pastry. After making this many times, I found that I preferred using cooked shredded meat. Not only is it easier to assemble in the pastry, but it’s also much easier to eat. The fact that shredded meat can be plentiful after Thanksgiving or from any poultry meal makes it a huge bonus! No one’s going to call “fowl” on that!
How to make these chicken or turkey hand pies with puff pastry
To begin, make sure the puff pastry sheet is fully thawed and at room temperature. Roll pastry out to make about a 14-inch square.
Then, cut into 4 smaller squares, about 7 inches each.
Spread about two tablespoons of the cream cheese onto the middle of each square. Fresh parsley is optional here (I’ve made this many times without it). Note: if using parsley, place it on the spread before adding the meat.
Each square will hold one-third to one-half cup of meat. Be careful not to overfill; you need to be able to close this flaky delight.
Then, brush the edges of the pastry with an egg wash (egg whisked with a little water) before starting to fold.
I like to close these by overlapping opposite corners first, then I fold in the other two.
This makes a nice, neat bundle. Just make sure you have a good overlap of pastry edges with no filling peeking through.
Do all squares the same and place them on the baking sheet. I like to use parchment paper for the baking sheet - it catches possible leaks and makes clean up a breeze.
Brush each pastry entirely with egg wash (This gives it a nice finish).
Bake at 400F for 25 minutes, then allow to cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheet before serving.
Pastry, seasoned cream cheese and meat in every bite!
Chicken or Turkey in Pastry
- 1 sheet Puff Pastry thawed (½ of a box)
- 1½ - 2 cups chicken or turkey cooked and shredded
- ½ cup whipped cream cheese herb or chive flavor
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 egg
- 1 TB water
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Beat egg and water in a small bowl using a whisk or fork.
- Unfold the pastry sheet onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out to make an approximate 14 inch square. Cut into 4 (7-inch) squares.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of cream cheese in the center of each square. Top with about a tablespoon of parsley and then one-third to one-half cup of shredded meat.
- Brush edges of each square with the egg mixture, then fold the corners of the square to the center to cover the chicken and press to seal.
- Place filled pastries seam side down on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Brush the tops of the pastries with the egg mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 400F. Let cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheet before serving
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
Going to have to try with the cream cheese. I make these now like hand held pot pies.. I call them hand pies. Nothing like an awesome fresh warm sandwich. Thx for the new idea!
I hope you try it soon, I'm betting you'll love this version!