When my granddaughter came to visit this summer, I was looking for fun frozen treats to make. I tried a few Popsicle recipes, but they drew mixed reviews. Then, I struck gold. Or, chocolate. And bananas. Yes! Frozen banana pops! A winner!
These pops have the shortest ingredient list ever: bananas and chocolate chips. I got fancy and made half white-chocolate and half chocolate-chocolate, but that is strictly optional. Oh, and the googly eyes. Very important. They’re optional, of course, but really, who can resist watching a 3-year-old place googly eyes on edible objects? Not me!
(Googly eyes can be found at most supermarkets in the cooking ingredients aisle).
To make this work, simply place chocolate chips in a small bowl and melt in the microwave for about a minute. Stir until smooth. In the meantime, cut up the bananas.
I decided to make some about 3-4 inches long, but also some bite-sized to be prepared for the inevitable question: “Can I have one more?” Answer: “Yes, but a small one this time.”
Place a Popsicle stick in each banana piece. Most directions tell you to dip the banana with Popsicle stick into the chocolate, but I found it easier to just spread the chocolate over the banana with a small spoon.
Once the banana is covered with chocolate, place it on a wax paper-lined cookie sheet. Add googly eyes while the chocolate is still melted.
Once all banana pieces are coated and googly-eyed, place the cookie sheet in the freezer for about an hour.
These would also be fun with sprinkles or other decorations – use your imagination and have fun!
Frozen Banana Bites
- 3-4 medium bananas
- 1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips or a half bag semi-sweet and a half-bag white chocolate
- Popsicle sticks
- googly eyes or other decorations– optional
- Prepare a cookie sheet by lining with wax paper.
- Place chips in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave 30-60 seconds to melt the chocolate. Stir until smooth.
- Cut bananas into thirds and/or bite-sized pieces and mount each piece on a Popsicle stick.
- Dip banana pieces into the chocolate. Spread the chocolate with the spoon used for stirring to get an even coat.
- Place each dipped banana on the lined cookie sheet. Add decoration while the chocolate is melted.
- Once all pieces are dipped and decorated, place the cookie
sheet in the freezer for about an hour until the chocolate is set and the
banana is frozen.
Yes, it’s a sneaky way to get kids to eat fruit, but it’s fun.