It’s time for another Holiday Cheese ball, this time one that’s colorful and festive: a green onion cheese ball.
Readers of my blog might remember my favorite quote about cheese balls. It’s the Brad Pitt of appetizers: always looks good, everyone likes it, and you’re always glad to see it. Yep, that never gets old. 😃
This time, onion flavors wake up the cream cheese to create a party of flavor on every cracker.
The green onion tops are the perfect coating to give this appetizer a bright and festive exterior!
Ingredients needed for this green onion cheese ball
- Cream cheese
- Whipped cream cheese (chive flavored)
- Sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
- Green onions
- Onion powder, dried minced onions, garlic powder, salt & pepper
How to make the cheese ball
Start with room temperature cream cheese, nice and soft so it will blend well. Place it in a food processor with the whipped cream cheese, shredded cheddar and spices. Blend until smooth. Add the minced green onions (white and light green parts) and pulse to combine.
Scrape the cheese mixture onto a piece of plastic wrap. Use the wrap to form a ball with the mixture. Place the ball in the fridge to chill for at least an hour.
Chop the green onion greens with the chives and place on a flat plate. When the cheese mixture has chilled, carefully remove the wrap and roll the ball in the chive mixture. The ball will be quite soft. Place it on a serving plate, cover and chill for an additional 2 hours. Conversely, you can chill the mixture for the entire 3 hours before rolling in the chives if that works out better for your timing.
What to serve with a green onion cheese ball
I like to offer a variety of crackers and veggies. During Christmas season, it’s nice to have the red to complement the green, so I included red bell peppers. The snow peas were a big hit as well. I further decorated with a few grape tomatoes on top of the ball, which were also very tasty with the cheesy yumminess. Next time I’ll add a few more of those to the plate. I actually couldn’t decide which combination I enjoyed most; suffice to say I liked them all. 😀
Green Onion Cheese Ball
- 8 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 8 oz whipped cream cheese with chives
- 6 oz sharp white cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced onions
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bunch green onions minced, green tops separated from white and light green
- ¼ oz chives chopped
- Place both cream cheeses in a food processor with cheddar cheese, and all the spices. Blend until smooth. Add the minced green onions (white and light green) and pulse to combine.
- Place mixture on a piece of plastic wrap and gather the wrap tightly around it to form a ball shape. Chill for at least an hour.
- Combine the minced green onion tops with the chopped chives and spread evenly on a plate.
- Carefully remove the plastic wrap from the chilled ball shape and roll in the chive mixture, pressing lightly to adhere.
- Place on a serving plate. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours more before serving.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
Need more cheese ball inspiration?
Check out my skull cheese ball for Halloween!
Make a turkey cheese ball for Thanksgiving!
And all season long, a football cheese ball is guaranteed to score!