I love my veggies, and sometimes I just need a simple way to prepare them. This combination of Brussels sprouts and carrots delivers simplicity and taste. Plus, it’s made on the stove top which is super convenient for those times when the oven is already taken!
- Brussels sprouts – 1 pound
- Carrots – 1 pound
- Shallot – 1 medium
- Apple cider vinegar
- Salt, pepper and water - do these count as ingredients? 😀
How to make these carrots and Brussels sprouts
This veggie side dish comes together very quickly. To start, cook the shallot in butter for 1-2 minutes. Then add the brussels sprouts and carrots with a little salt and pepper. Cook these, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes. The vegetables will just be slightly brown.
Add water and then cover the skillet. Cook/steam the veggies for 5- 8 minutes. Uncover, add vinegar and butter. Salt and pepper to taste.
What I love about these Brussels sprouts and carrots
Let’s be honest, I already love both these veggies by themselves. So it makes sense that I’d love them together. But there is a surprising synergy in taste when you put the two together. You get:
- Carrots – a sweet veggie that delivers eyesight-protecting Vitamin A.
- Brussels sprouts – these “little cabbages” are nutritional powerhouses that can help fight cardiovascular disease and cancer, can lower cholesterol levels and improve thyroid function. (goodhousekeeping.com)
- Less than 10 ingredients – keep it simple!
- Stove top preparation – sometimes you need somewhere other than the oven!
- Quick and easy – they only take 20 minutes total. And you can easily prep the veggies ahead of time. The last 5-8 minutes is spent steaming, so you just cover the pan and go take care of something else while the veggies steam.
- Colorful side dish – so many meals can be a little dull looking, color-wise. The combination of carrots and Brussels sprouts (originally found at epicurious.com) provides a pop of orange and green to liven up your plate!
This veggie side would make a perfect addition to a holiday menu! (But easy enough for any day 😀 )
Brussels Sprouts and Carrots
- 1 shallot chopped
- 1 pound carrots cut in ½ inch pieces
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons butter unsalted
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a heavy skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add the shallot and cook 1 to 2 minutes to soften.
- Add carrots, Brussels sprouts, and some salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add water and cover skillet. Continue cooking over medium-high heat for 5 to 8 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Turn off heat. Stir in vinegar and one tablespoon butter. Adjust salt and pepper as needed.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.