Weather denial comes to a screeching halt in February: winter is definitely here! And some days all I want to do is curl up in a chair with a nice warm bowl of soup. This cheesy potato soup is perfect for that!
I developed this recipe years ago, and started with something a little different: Broccoli Cheese and Potato Soup. I love that soup, but I wanted a “just potato” version. So I used the BC&PS as my starting point and fine-tuned it over the years.
One thing you might notice is that I use red potatoes. I do this for a couple reasons, not the least of which is time. Who wants to stand and peel potatoes? Not me! The thin-skins of red potatoes will work just fine in this soup, and once you get to the blending/mashing part they will barely be noticeable. Besides, potato skins are good for you! According to this source, “Potatoes are a rich source of fiber, iron, vitamin C and vitamin B-6, but to get the most nutrients you’ll need to eat the whole potato.” Which is what we are doing with this soup. 😀
Like many soups, this starts with a mirepoix [pronounced: MEER-pwah) (onions, celery and carrot), which is sautéed in oil for about 5 minutes.
Add some garlic, then flour, salt and pepper. Then, add in the potatoes and liquids (broth and milk) and heat to boiling.
Lower heat, cover and cook until the potatoes are soft, about 10-15 minutes. Uncover and season with a little chili powder, salt and pepper and Parmesan cheese. Let this cook uncovered for about 5 minutes, then add shredded cheddar cheese and turn off the heat.
At this point, everything is cooked but it looks like chunks of potato in broth. All that is needed is to blend some or all of the soup mixture. You can use a stand blender, or an immersion blender.
Even though I have both, I typically use an old-fashioned potato masher.
I like my potato soup to have some texture, rather than being perfectly smooth. Using the manual masher helps control that for me. Just mash until it looks about right. 😄
I like to make this as a vegetarian meal, so I use vegetable broth and no other additions.
But this is also delicious with diced ham or bacon added for those who just can’t handle the lack of meat. 😀
Cheesy Potato Soup
- 2 lbs. Red Potatoes-cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 TB olive oil
- 2 TB flour
- 3 cups broth chicken or vegetable
- 1 c skim milk
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp salt or to taste
- ¼ tsp pepper or to taste
- 2 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 TB shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil. Add chopped onion, celery and carrot and sauté on low heat until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add flour, salt and pepper to the pot and stir until smooth.
- Add broth, milk and potatoes and set heat to high until it comes to a boil, then cover and cook on low until potatoes are soft, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add chili powder and Parmesan cheese, and stir well. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Cook uncovered about 5 more minutes.
- Add cheddar cheese, stir well and remove from heat.
- Using an immersion blender or potato masher, quickly blend or mash part of the soup. This will thicken the soup to a nice consistency.
Cheesy Potato Soup – so good!