I love avocados and am always so happy to find new ways to enjoy them. This Mexican avocado salad came from that love.
Filled with creamy avocado goodness and spiced with Mexican flavors, this salad is the perfect go-with for any Tex-Mex meal. Taco Tuesday never tasted so good!
Treat this recipe as a starting point and make some revisions to suit your personal taste. I've provided some ideas below, and would love to hear what else you all come up with!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
This delicious salad is easy and fast, packed with a fiesta of flavors in every bite. Creamy avocados and sweet grape tomatoes get a little kick of taste from cilantro and lime juice. It's like a flavor party on the end of your fork!
**Be sure to scroll to the recipe card for detailed quantities and directions**
How to Make this Mexican Avocado Salad
Slice your red onion thinly, then place in a small bowl immersed in water. Soak the onions while you prep the other ingredients to help remove that "bite" an onion can have. (If you love the bite, you can of course skip this step)
Halve the tomatoes and cube the mozzarella cheese. I buy sliced mozzarella to make this easier.
Halve and remove the pit from the avocados, then cut them into bite sized cubes. Drain the water from the onions.
Place the avocado, tomatoes, onion, and cheese in a bowl. Add the chopped cilantro.
In a separate small bowl, whisk together the lime juice and olive oil. Add the salt and pepper, then whisk again.
Pour the dressing into the bowl and toss the salad gently to coat. Serve immediately.
This salad is a great side for any Mexican-inspired meal. Try it with grilled chicken or margarita shrimp.
I've eaten the salad as-is as well as on a bed of greens, both options are delicious.
You could even scoop it up with some tortilla chips like an avocado salsa.
Substitutions and Variations
So many possibilities with this! Try adding some black beans to make it a protein-packed salad! You can add the beans to the salad as-is or use them to substitute for the cheese to make it a vegan salad.
How about corn? Always delicious in any Mexican-inspired meal, feel free to add some for another layer of flavor.
Mozzarella cheese might seem like an unusual choice, but I love the creaminess it provides. Feel free to try Queso Fresco cheese if you'd like a more authentic option.
You can also substitute 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped, for the grape tomatoes.
This salad is best fresh and does not typically keep well. Just eat it all, you know you want to! LOL
Finely dice a jalapeno pepper and add to the mix. I've done this and it's very yummy! You could also try a shake of red pepper flakes if that's all you have on hand.
Yes, per above just eliminate the cheese and add in some black beans.
Mexican Avocado Salad
- 2 avocados large
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- ¼ cup red onion sliced thin
- 1 lime, juiced about ¼ cup juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- ½ teaspoon salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper to taste
- Prep the onion first by slicing, then placing the slices in a small bowl. Add enough cold water to cover. Soak the onions while prepping the other ingredients to remove some of the onion’s sharpness. Then drain off the water before adding to the salad.
- Halve the tomatoes and cube the mozzarella cheese. Halve and remove the pit from the avocados, then cut into bite sized cubes.
- Place the avocado, tomatoes, onion, and cheese in a bowl. Add the chopped cilantro.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the lime juice and olive oil. Add the salt and pepper, then whisk again.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss gently to coat.
- Serve immediately.
You can substitute 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped, for the grape tomatoes.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.