July 24 is National Tequila Day. I’m sure everyone is looking for creative ways to celebrate. A margarita is an obvious choice, especially delicious in slushee form on a hot summer day. But don’t stop there! Since you already have tequila on hand, make some margarita shrimp. Yes, there is such a thing and it’s delish! Also very simple.
I originally found this recipe on Allrecipes.com.
To start, marinate the shrimp in a mix of tequila and lime juice (sounds like a margarita to me!) as well as some Mexican-y spices.
This step needs at least 30 minutes but can be left up to 3 hours, which is convenient when
you feel like having a drink there are other dishes to prepare.
To cook, the shrimp are threaded onto skewers and placed on a hot grill.
Shrimp cooks very quickly, so grill only 2-3 minutes per side to produce delicious, perfectly cooked crustaceans on a stick.
These can be served with rice or a salad to make a light and satisfying meal
Grilled Margarita Shrimp
- 8 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 20 minutes
- 1 lb large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 3 TB olive oil
- 2 TB chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 TB tequila
- 2 TB lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate to marinade for 30 minutes.
- Soak bamboo skewers in water while shrimp is marinating.
- Preheat grill to high heat and lightly oil the grates.
- Thread the shrimp onto the skewers. Discard marinade.
- Cook on the preheated grill for 2 to 3 minutes per side, until shrimp turn pink.