No need to cook for this salad
Sometimes the mood for shrimp hits, but not the mood for making it. This recipe from skinnytaste.com satisfies both those needs by using pre-cooked shrimp to throw together a wonderful and healthy Lime Shrimp and Avocado Salad.
The tastes of this salad remind me of ceviche, which is essentially raw fish cured in citrus juices. Ceviche is delicious, but sometimes the mental image of raw fish might spoil it for some. In this salad, the shrimp is already cooked, which makes it a perfect compromise. It takes very little time to assemble. And in the case of a rare leftover portion it is still good the next day, but probably no longer. The limiting ingredient is, of course avocado, which browns quickly when cut. This salad has enough lime juice to delay that some, but perhaps for only a day.
How to make Lime Shrimp and Avocado Salad
The longest “step” for this salad is to marinate the onion in lime juice, olive oil, and seasonings for 5 minutes, to mellow out the onion a little.
While the onion marinates, chop the other ingredients and then toss it all together!
Note: I buy large shrimp and chop them into thirds. That way I get bite-sized pieces of shrimp that still seem “meaty” to me. If you’re not picky about such things, medium shrimp would work also. 😀
This Lime Shrimp and Avocado Salad is delicious!
I sometimes eat this as-is, but also like it on a bed of mixed greens to make a filling, healthy and visually scrumptious meal.
Lime Shrimp and Avocado Salad
- 1 lb cooked and peeled shrimp large or jumbo size
- ¼ c red onion chopped
- 2 limes juice of
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- Pepper to taste
- 2 Roma plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 jalapeno diced (seeds removed)
- 1 TB cilantro chopped
- Combine the onion, lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Let marinate for 5 minutes to mellow the onion flavor.
- Chop the shrimp into bite-sized pieces (I prefer chopping each shrimp into thirds).
- In a large bowl, combine the shrimp, avocado, tomato and jalapeno.
- Add onion mixture to bowl as well as chopped cilantro. Gently toss all ingredients together.
- Adjust salt and pepper as desired.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
More summer ideas
If you like the tastes in this salad, you will also enjoy Corn Tomato Avocado Salad – it’s summer in a bowl!
If you like ceviche as much as I do, you will simply LOVE this Pomelo Ceviche Salad.
Are you a shrimp lover? Try Grilled Margarita Shrimp – so good!