Perfect for National Ice Cream Day
I wanted to bring to your attention an important holiday coming up. One that is screaming for this Frozen Tropical Lime Pie. I’m hoping the day is marked on everyone’s calendar. Every year on the third Sunday in July our nation should set aside time to observe National Ice Cream Day. This year it’s July 21st. Should be a national holiday, right?
Clearly, an ice cream pie is in order.
How to make Frozen Tropical Lime Pie
This recipe is adapted from Pillsbury.com and features both lime sherbet and vanilla ice cream. The crust was the greatest challenge for me as I couldn’t figure out what kind of cookie Pillsbury asked for with the description “crisp coconut cookie.” So I decided to make my own by combining Golden Oreos (yes, Golden Oreos - they do exist!) with a sprinkling of coconut. It took a couple tries, but I think I got it.
I prefer my coconut chopped fine, so I take already shredded coconut and chop it even smaller. Without this step, the coconut texture seemed too obvious in some bites. I want smoooooth.
Here is some coconut - chopped on the left compared to the shredded "just out of the bag" on the right.
I also added Cool Whip to the filling because - in the first place, why not? - but also because I like extra creaminess (again, the smoooooth factor). And I also added a little lime zest - an optional ingredient. I’ve tried both with zest and without. I think it is delicious both ways, but ultimately I prefer the extra Zing! Can’t go wrong with the taste of fresh lime!
Frozen Tropical Lime Pie
- 24 Golden Oreo cookies 2/3 of a 14.3 oz package
- ¼ c butter melted
- 3 TB sweetened coconut chopped fine
- 3 cups lime sherbet softened
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream softened
- 1 cup whipped topping Cool Whip or similar
- 1 tsp lime zest optional
- To make the crust, place Oreos in a food processor and process to fine crumbs.
- Add the chopped coconut and mix together.
- Transfer the Oreo mixture to a bowl and add melted butter. Stir to evenly moisten the crumbs.
- Reserve one tablespoon of crumbs for topping.
- In a 9-inch pan, press remaining crumbs in the bottom and up the sides.
- Place in freezer while assembling the filling.
- In a large bowl, mix softened sherbet, softened ice cream, and whipped topping until smooth. Add grated lime peel if using.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
This frozen Tropical Lime Pie is great! Need some more frozen treat ideas? Any flavor of Kool-Aid could be used for Kool-Aid Pie. How about the yummy sweet orange flavors of a Creamsicle Pie? Or the sweet and tart Lemonade Pie? Need a chocolate fix? Try Frozen S’mores Pie!