Is there anything more fun than cute food? Take a look at these Silly Apple Bites. I dare you not to smile.
By cutting apples creatively and using peanut butter and edible decorations, you can create a snack that is both adorable and tasty.
Seriously, I can’t look at these without smiling!
Originally from Fork and Beans, I made very minor adjustments to the recipe.
For the green apples, I used one granny smith and one golden delicious, just to see if it made a difference. It didn’t. Both were great.
First, quarter the apples, then cut off the core. This will be the “back” of the face. Next cut a wedge into the other side of the apple quarter to make a mouth area, as seen here.
The original recipe called for sunflower butter. It’s not an ingredient, really. More like an edible construction material. Kidding! Sunflower butter is probably a lifesaver for anyone with a peanut allergy. But this is a peanut butter household. Either one is fine. Of course, peanut butter provides a peanut butter taste. The peanut butter is spread onto the surface of the mouth. Not only is it tasty but it also is conveniently sticky enough to hold the other decorations: sunflower seeds, apple slices and googly eyes.
Also, for a greater effect, I tried some sliced almonds in addition to the specified sunflower seeds. I will say that both worked, but the sunflower seeds were definitely easier to work with: just a dab of peanut butter holds them in place. The almonds, being larger, were a project, requiring force to pierce the apple to secure them.
But I do like the look of both. 😀
Note: The original recipe specifies using homemade googly eyes. Seeing I already had store-bought eyes in preparation for my granddaughter’s visit, they did just fine. (Note: stayed tuned for my next post to see what we made together)
These Silly Apple Bites are as much fun to make as they are to eat!
Silly Apple Bites
- 2 green apples quartered
- 1/4 cup Peanut butter
- 2-3 strawberries sliced thin
- 2 TB Sunflower seed kernels or other nut as desired for teeth
- Googly eyes homemade or store bought
- Carefully cut off the core from the edge of each apple quarter.
- To make the mouth, cut a wedge into the middle of the apple.
- Coat the inside of the mouth with sunflower butter/peanut butter.
- Place 3-5 sunflower seed kernels on the top of the mouth for teeth.
- Place a thin strawberry slice inside the mouth for a tongue.
- Then, dab a small amount of peanut butter on the back of each googly eye and place above the mouth.
See? You’re smiling now, amirite?