A different type of Italian sauce
The influence of Italian cooking never seems to end, extending even, to chicken with this sauce that transports you to the Island of Capri. For this Caprese Chicken, we’re going to cook tomatoes in a little balsamic vinegar, a sweet-tart sauce that complements chicken nicely.
How to make Caprese Chicken
Tomatoes are always a great start!
Once the tomatoes cook down , the pre-browned chicken breasts are nestled into the sauce to re-warm and to meld all the yummy flavors.
Of course, cheese is required (learned at birth in Wisconsin). For this meal: mozzarella.
Plaudits to delish.com for this “deliciosity” that delivers tons of healthy flavor.
For those trying to lower carb intake, this has a teeny 8g of carbs per serving. That leaves plenty of room for a side salad and/or broccoli.
In my house, I know the carnivore wants pasta so I double the tomatoes (to 2 pints) in order to create more of a “sauce.”
Note: this does NOT make a thick sauce like the commercial stuff in a jar. What you get is a light flavor coating to the pasta, which complements the chicken.
Pay attention to portion size
On the subject of diets I want to point out the portion size. One pound of chicken is considered 4 servings, and from habit we think of one breast as one serving. But, chicken breasts are so large these days that one pound = two breasts.
So, if you’re tuned into calories and serving size, consider cutting each breast in half lengthwise before cooking. It aligns the weight with the “real” serving size providing the visual of a whole chicken breast on the plate. Keep in mind the meat will cook faster this way, so some adjustments to cooking time may be needed.
Caprese Chicken is ready in under 30 minutes
It’s a one-pot meal that’s ready in under 30 minutes – perfect for busy weeknights!
- 1 TB olive oil extra-virgin
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pt. grape tomatoes halved
- 2 TB freshly torn basil
- 4 slices mozzarella
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Season chicken with salt and pepper and cook until golden and cooked through, 6 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Add balsamic vinegar to skillet, then add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Add tomatoes and season with salt. Let simmer until soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in basil.
- Return chicken to skillet and nestle in tomatoes. Top with mozzarella and cover with a lid to melt.
- Spoon tomatoes over chicken and serve.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.