Sometimes you need a meal that's easy to make and tastes insanely good. This low-carb, keto friendly Chicken Fajita Casserole is the perfect dish for those occasions!
The recipe is simple - just cook up some chicken thighs and some onions and peppers. Then mix it all together with cream cheese, taco seasoning, and shredded cheese. Once assembled, it only needs 30 minutes in the oven before its ready to serve.
You can serve this dish however you want: load it into some taco shells or eat it as a bowl meal. It's also great for leftovers since it reheats well in the microwave or oven.
It makes a delicious family favorite casserole!
Why I love this recipe
I love a good casserole. Delicious comfort food at its finest.
But most casseroles are full of carbs like rice or noodles. So I’m always happy when I can find low-carb versions with all my favorite flavors. Delicious comfort food without the guilt!
But this is not just for the low-carb crowd. You can serve it in taco shells or with a side of rice (or rice and bean bake!).
(also needed: taco seasoning)
How to make chicken fajita casserole
Start by cooking the chicken. Use about a 2-quart (mine is 2.5) casserole dish. It’ll seem too big for the task, but you will use the same dish for the assembled casserole, so this little bit of planning ahead will save on extra dishes to be washed later. When the chicken is cooked through, allow it to cool slightly, then shred or chop into bite sized pieces.
While the chicken is baking, slowly cook the onions and peppers in a skillet. Use medium-low heat to let the veggies caramelize; and stir occasionally. I like to let the veggies slowly cook the entire time the chicken is in the oven.
To assemble the chicken fajita casserole, first combine the cream cheese, taco seasoning and half of the shredded cheese in a large bowl. Add in the cooked chicken and vegetables.
Drain any cooking liquid in the casserole dish, then transfer the mixture into the dish. Top with shredded cheese, then bake until hot and bubbly.
- Use sweet bell peppers for the best result – red, orange, or yellow.
- Volume of chicken and peppers does not have to be precise. I once made this with 1 ½ pounds of chicken, which ended up being very creamy, but still very good.
- This casserole is low carb but also kid friendly. Use it to stuff a taco shell for another way to enjoy it!
- Chicken thighs are my favorite for this casserole, but white meat also works. I have used a combination with great results. It’s perfect for leftover or rotisserie chicken! Just skip to step 2 if your chicken is already cooked.
- If you’d like to add even more variety to the casserole, mix in some corn, black beans, or cooked rice. This will make it less keto-friendly but might make it even more fun to eat. 😀
You might also enjoy these other low carb casseroles
Chicken Fajita Casserole
- 2 pounds chicken boneless skinless (thighs)
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 large yellow onion
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 8 ounces Mexican blend cheese shredded
- 1 ½ tablespoons taco seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place the chicken in a large (2.5 qt) casserole dish. Cover and bake until cooked through, about 35-45 minutes. Allow to cool slightly, then shred or chop into bite-sized pieces. Drain any liquid from the casserole dish.
- Prepare the pepper and onion by seeding the pepper and cutting both into small strips. Place in a frying pan with a little oil or cooking spray and cook over medium-low heat until they are golden and soft. Low heat will slowly caramelize the vegetables and bring out their best flavor. Use the entire time the chicken is cooking to heat the vegetables. Allow to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl mix the cream cheese, half the shredded cheese and the taco seasoning. Add in the chicken and vegetables.
- Transfer to the casserole dish used to cook the chicken. Top with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350F about 25-30 minutes, until hot and bubbly.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
Your chicken fajita casserole recipe tastes delicious! I cooked of the chicken and vegetables on my Blackstone Flat Top Griddle. Then transferred to a casserole dish to finish off in the oven. My family loved this easy casserole recipe!
Easy casseroles will always win for me!
This is amazing! I love that all my favorite fajita flavors are in a casserole!
Fajita flavors are always welcome in my house!
This was so flavorful and not too spicy..even the kids loved it! Will make again!
Definitely a kid-friendly meal!
This is sooo good. Love the combination of cream cheese and Taco seasoning with the shredded chicken. All the kids loved it!
Oh yes, my granddaughter loves having this on taco shells. Really delicious!
This is flat out delicious!
So glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for letting me know!