Craving a good comfort food-style casserole? But trying to keep the carbs low at the same time?
It can be a real challenge! Most casseroles are loaded with noodles or rice, sometimes potatoes. All delicious, and all packed with the carbs you’re trying to avoid.
Enter this Philly cheesesteak casserole. Full of low carb veggies to keep the nutrition high, ground beef for that umami taste, and cheesy goodness to wrap it all together.
This is the kind of meal you can serve without anyone needing to know that it’s actually low carb. Win-win!
Why I love this recipe
Philly cheesesteak is one of those iconic flavors that everyone loves. But it is typically found in a sandwich. Which, of course, removes it from consideration for anyone on a low carb diet.
Some might think the best solution to this problem would be to simply eat the filling, without the bread. But that gets really heavy on the meat, you know? And if you’re feeding a family, that will get expensive quickly.
My solution was to keep it low carb by using riced cauliflower. I love how that helped make this more veggie-forward, and a more well-rounded meal. And, to be honest, you barely notice the cauliflower. It seems to melt right into the cream cheese sauce.
So you can feel good about every delicious bite of this Philly cheesesteak casserole, since you’re getting veggies in addition to meat in every cheesy bite!
How to make this Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
It starts with ground beef, but you can used shaved steak instead if you’d rather.
Add the beef to a large skillet with chopped onion, green pepper, and sliced mushrooms. While the meat is starting to cook, microwave the riced cauliflower.
Cook the meat and vegetables, stirring and breaking up the burger, until the vegetables are soft and the meat is fully browned.
If needed, get rid of the excess grease by crumbling up a paper towel, holding it with a tongs, and then using it to absorb the grease.
Add all the seasonings and the cream cheese. Cook and stir until the cream cheese melts fully. Then add the cooked riced cauliflower and beef broth and stir well.
Transfer to a lightly greased casserole dish. Of course, we need a little more cheese now… so cover the mixture with overlapping slices of provolone cheese.
Bake the casserole for 15 to 20 minutes. Since everything was already fully cooked in the skillet, you are simply ensuring that the casserole is heated evenly through and that the cheese on top is nicely melted and maybe even a little bit brown. 😀
Of course, you can eat it as-is. It is a casserole, after all.
But we have also found that it is yummy on a nice toasted bun. We happened to have some low carb buns on hand, and used some of the casserole leftovers to make sandwiches for lunch. I added another slice of provolone just to keep the cheese factor high. 😁
More low carb recipes to love
Philly Cheesesteak Casserole (Low Carb, Keto)
- 1 ¼ pound ground beef
- 1 bell pepper green, chopped
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 8 ounces white mushrooms sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- ½ cup beef broth
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 10-12 ounces riced cauliflower fresh or frozen
- Preheat oven to 350F, and lightly grease an 8x8-inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the ground beef, bell pepper, onion and mushrooms.
- If adding riced cauliflower, pre-cook it by microwaving according to the package directions. (usually about 4-5 minutes on high) Set aside.
- Continue cooking the meat and vegetables, stirring and breaking up the meat with your spoon or spatula.
- Once the meat is fully browned and the vegetables are soft, remove excess grease by pushing the meat to one side and dabbing a crumpled paper towel in the pan (held by a tongs) to absorb the grease.
- Season the mixture with onion powder, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Add the cream cheese and stir until it fully melts. Add the beef broth and cauliflower and mix well.
- Transfer the mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Overlap the slices of provolone cheese to cover.
- Bake, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes. The casserole will be warmed through and the provolone will be melted.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
I am always looking for an easy and great tasting casserole recipe and your Philly cheesesteak casserole low carb keto recipe was perfect.
Wonderful, thank you for the kind review!
This is tasty! I'm always looking for more recipes to make with ground beef and I love how different this is than most casseroles.
Yes I really tried to get some extra veggies in there! Thanks for trying it out and for the kind review. 🙂
Oh my goodness, talk about comfort in a bowl! I love that I can get all the flavors of one of my favorite meals without all of the carbs to go with it!
Me too - comfort food without guilt!
We love Philly cheesesteaks - and I’m intrigued by the addition of cauliflower rice in this casserole! Bookmarking this recipe!
It's a fun variation!