Tis the season! So many cookies, so little time! If you get tired of all the baking, try a cookie that doesn’t need an oven. Similar to a Rice Krispie treat, only made with a different cereal. Cornflakes and marshmallows combine to make a cookie you can form into a wreath. So bright and fun, perfect for a platter of Christmas treats!
- Cornflakes cereal
- Miniature marshmallows
- Green food coloring
- Cooking spray
How to make these cornflake marshmallow cookies
These mix up just like Rice Krispie treats (remember the Rice Krispie treat ghosts?) melt the marshmallows and butter together to make a smooth mixture (I use the microwave for this). Add food coloring to get a nice shade of green. Then, mix in the cereal and stir well to evenly mix.
To make the wreaths, you’ll want to tear off a big piece of wax paper and grease your hands with cooking spray or butter. Take about a third cup of the mixture and roll/form into a log shape. Join the ends together to form a circle/wreath and place it on the parchment paper. Repeat with the remaining mixture. Decorate each wreath with red candies.
Tips for success
I cannot emphasize this enough: you NEED to grease your hands. I ended up re-spraying my hands after about every 3 cookies. So keep that cooking spray nearby, you’re gonna need it!
Also, don’t wait too long before placing the candy decorations. If the wreaths start to cool, the candies won’t stick. So you might want to consider making a couple wreaths, then decorating, then making more. But you also don’t want the marshmallow mixture to cool too much, otherwise it’ll become stiff and difficult to work with. If you can grab another pair of hands to help, it makes this step easier. Kids love to put decorations on stuff – this cookie is ideal for that. Or, if you need, you can re-warm the mixture in the microwave with a very short zap – maybe 15-20 seconds.
Basically, you have created a marshmallow and cereal mixture that you shape with your hands instead of in a pan. Seems like a lot, but it really isn't. Plus, the end result is worth it.
These Cornflake Marshmallow cookies are so festive and cute!
Cornflake Marshmallow Cookie Wreaths
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 10 ounces mini marshmallows
- 5 cups cornflakes
- 1 teaspoon green food coloring
- Cooking spray for your hands
- Small red candies for decoration – cinnamon or M&M’s
- Place mini marshmallows in a large bowl. Microwave for a minute to begin warming.
- Add the butter and microwave for another minute. Stir together.
- If needed, microwave an additional 30-60 seconds to finish melting the marshmallows. Stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Add food coloring and stir well to evenly incorporate.
- Add Cornflakes and mix well.
- Get a piece of parchment paper ready for your wreaths. Spray your hands with nonstick spray.
- Take about ⅓ cup of the mixture and form it into a log shape. Join the ends together to form a circle. Place on the parchment paper and repeat with the remaining Cornflake mixture.
- Decorate each wreath with red candies. Allow to cool fully to room temperature, then store in an airtight container.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.