We have been on a pancake kick lately, and after the success of my almond milk pancakes I thought I’d try a new variation. Like before, I started with my recipe for old fashioned pancakes which I have used for years.
Turns out, using pretty much the same proportions with an oat milk substitution for the milk will make fluffy and delicious dairy free oat milk pancakes!
And who's gonna turn down a stack of fresh and deliciously fluffy pancakes?
- Flour (all-purpose)
- Baking powder
- Butter (use plant-based butter to be completely dairy free)
- Oat milk
- Vanilla extract
How to make Oat Milk Pancakes
To start, mix the dry ingredients. Then add the wet ingredients: egg, melted butter, and oat milk. I also add vanilla extract here, as I otherwise miss the hint of vanilla flavor I get from my flavored almond milk.
Whisk this all together very well. A few small lumps are okay but the batter should be mostly smooth.
Let the batter rest for 5 minutes before cooking. This is a good time to start pre-heating the griddle!
Heat a griddle or skillet on medium-high heat and grease it with some cooking spray or butter. Add the batter, about ¼ cup per pancake, to the hot pan. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, until bubbles appear in the batter. Then flip and cook 1 to 2 minutes more.
Keep the pancakes warm while making some more. All will be light and fluffy, ready for syrup, berry sauce or whatever else you like to put on your pancakes!
As I mentioned above, I add vanilla extract for an extra flavor boost, but technically this is optional, so feel free to omit if you prefer.
To be completely dairy-free, use a plant-based butter in place of the real butter.
These can easily be made vegan by using plant-based butter and a flax egg: 1 Tablespoon flaxseed meal with 2½ Tablespoons water. Mix in a small bowl and let rest 5 minutes to thicken.
I’m hoping to try more variations soon!
More breakfast ideas
So many ways to make a pancake! Here are a few to check out:
These light and fluffy pancakes will earn a special place in your heart!
Oat Milk Pancakes
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 3 Tablespoons butter* melted
- 1 egg
- 1 ¼ cup oat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cooking spray
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large bowl.
- Whisk in melted butter, egg, oat milk and vanilla extract. Stir until well combined. Let batter rest for 5 minutes.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Spray with cooking spray (or use butter/oil as preferred). Pour batter onto hot skillet, about ¼ cup of batter for each pancake.
- Cook 2 to 3 minutes, until bubbles appear on the sides and center of each pancake. Flip and cook until golden, about 1 to 2 more minutes.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.