Here’s a red, white and blue version of a simple berry-crumble bar. I found this recipe years ago on Allrecipes.com, using blueberries. The notes said that any berry would work, so I thought why not strawberry? Better yet, why not both?
By making this half blueberry and half strawberry, you create red, white and blue all in one 9×13 pan. (I’m counting the neutral-colored crust as white here)
Simply mix up the dough ingredients and pat half of it into a 9×13 pan.
The berries are mixed with some sugar and cornstarch and then added to the pan.
The rest of the dough is sprinkled over the top before baking.
These could be served warm with some vanilla ice cream to take it over the top, but I actually like these just as-is. And it totally gets full credit for the patriotic colors!
Red White and Blueberry Crumble Bars
Dough for crust
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter or shortening
- 1 egg
- 2 cups (cut up) fresh strawberries
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 TB cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 375°Grease a 9×13 inch pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup sugar, 3 cups flour, and baking powder. Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the butter and egg. Dough will be crumbly. Pat half of dough into the prepared pan.
- In another bowl, stir together the sugar and cornstarch. Gently mix half with the blueberries, and the other half with the strawberries. Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over half the crust, strawberry over the other. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares.