An easy Fourth of July dessert
Here’s a red, white and blue version of a simple berry-crumble bar. I found this recipe years ago on Allrecipes.com, using blueberries. The notes said that any berry would work, so I thought why not strawberry? Better yet, why not both? You get red, white and blue bars!
By making this half blueberry and half strawberry, you create red, white and blue all in one 9x13 pan. (I’m counting the neutral-colored crust as white here)
Some blueberry factoids
Did you know? In 2018, Oregon produced the most cultivated blueberries, recording 131 million pounds (60 million kg), an amount slightly exceeding the production by the state of Washington. In descending order of production volume for 2017, other major producers were Georgia, Michigan, New Jersey, California and North Carolina. Hammonton, New Jersey claims to be the "Blueberry Capital of the World". Over 80% of New Jersey's cultivated blueberries come from this town. Every year the town hosts a large festival that draws thousands of people to celebrate the fruit. Maine accounts for 10% of all blueberries grown in North America with 44,000 hectares (110,000 acres) farmed. However, Maine harvests only half of this acreage each year due to variations in pruning practices. The wild blueberry is the official fruit of Maine. (Source: Wikipedia)
How to make this patriotic dessert
Simply mix up the dough ingredients, then pat half of it into a 9x13 pan.
Mix the berries with some sugar and cornstarch and then add to the pan.
Sprinkle the rest of the dough over the top before baking.
These red white and blue bars could be served warm with some vanilla ice cream to take it over the top, but I actually like these just as-is. And it totally gets full credit for the patriotic colors!
Red White and Blueberry Crumble Bars
Dough for crust
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter or shortening
- 1 egg
- 2 cups (cut up) fresh strawberries
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 TB cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 375°Grease a 9x13 inch pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup sugar, 3 cups flour, and baking powder. Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the butter and egg. Dough will be crumbly. Pat half of dough into the prepared pan.
- In another bowl, stir together the sugar and cornstarch. Gently mix half with the blueberries, and the other half with the strawberries. Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over half the crust, strawberry over the other. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
More patriotic food ideas
Your cookout also needs some great burgers, Red White and Blue Potato Salad, and maybe a Mediterranean Chopped Salad. Want a frozen dessert? Lemonade pie is always a crowd pleaser. Or, maybe this torte to wow them all!
Oh, and don’t forget the beverages. Make red white and blue Vodka slushes for a fully patriotic themed cookout! So many of these dishes can be made ahead and everyone will be impressed with your attention to the patriotic theme!!