A wonderful 4th of July dessert
The Fourth of July isn’t one of those holidays associated with a certain food so much as a place: outside. The almost certainly warm holiday means eating outdoors is preferred. And you want something cold and refreshing. Layers of Jell-O? That’s one approach. This patriotic dessert seriously ups the game!
This marvelous recipe is courtesy of the folks at wisconsincheese.com and requires no baking, just mixing and freezing. Perfect for a hot summer day!
Picture this (or, just look at the photo): A white base of mascarpone cheese, whipped cream and pound cake, accented with blueberries and raspberries producing a colorful and irresistible red, white and blue frozen delight.
How to make Patriotic Torte
Start by mixing together mascarpone cheese and sugar, then add the zest and juice from 2 lemons. When adding this, it might feel like it’s too much. Not to worry. This provides exactly the right amount of lemony tang to contrast with the sweetness of the other ingredients.
Whip the cream separately, then fold into the mascarpone mix. Once this is combined, put aside 2.5 cups and refrigerate separately, then add cubes of purchased pound cake to the mix.
From there, start to layer. Put half the cake mixture in a springform pan, layer with raspberries, insert the remaining cake layer and layer that with blueberries, then finish with the reserved mascarpone mix.
Decorate the top with the remaining berries.
Freezing and serving this patriotic dessert
Per the folks at wisconsincheese.com, this patriotic dessert should freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight, and should be removed from the freezer at least 10 minutes before cutting.
What I found is that this will cut pretty easily after 4-6 hours of freezing. But an overnight freeze in a good, cold freezer will yield something resembling a frozen block of granite LOL. So now, if I am not serving it all in one day, I wait 4-6 hours and then cut the entire torte into appropriate-sized slices, then return it to the freezer. It makes serving much easier the following day!
In addition to looking SO pretty, it’s absolutely delicious!!
Frozen Patriotic Torte
- 16 oz mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup ultrafine sugar
- 2 lemons zest and juice
- 1 ¾ cup whipping cream
- 1 loaf (10.75 oz) frozen pound cake thawed and cut into ½ inch cubes
- 4 cups fresh raspberries divided
- 4 cups fresh blueberries divided
- Line a 9-inch springform pan with wax paper.
- Beat mascarpone cheese and sugar together in a large bowl until blended. Add the lemon juice and zest, and beat to blend well.
- In a separate bowl, beat the whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Fold (gently stithe whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture, then transfer 2.5 cups to a bowl, cover and refrigerate.
- Fold the cubed pound cake into the remaining mascarpone mixture. Spread half of this cake mixture into the prepared pan. Line the edge of the filling near the pan with raspberries (this will form the decorative edge.) Top the filling with 2 cups of raspberries.
- Spread the remaining cake mixture in the pan on top of the raspberry layer. Line the edge of this layer with blueberries. Top the filling with 1¾ cups of blueberries.
- Spread the reserved mascarpone mixture on top, and line the edge of the torte with the remaining raspberries. Then, use the remaining blueberries to make a star shape (or other decoration as preferred.)
- Cover and freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Prior to serving, remove torte from freezer and allow to sit at room temperature for at least 10 minutes to soften slightly. Carefully run a warm knife around the edge of the pan to loosen; remove sides of pan, and serve.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
Serve a patriotic dessert to match your American Flag Taco Dip!
Hey, this looks fantastic! Great idea. Thanks!
I hope you enjoy it soon!
Really wonderful and delicious recipe!
I'm so glad you enjoyed it!
Looks so delicious! I love Patriotic desserts such this cake!
Me too - I love all the fresh berries, so yummy!
I love no-bake recipes for summer, especially when patriotic! :). This one is perfect!
No bake is the best in summer!
This cake looks fantastic. Just what I was looking for. I just saved the recipe. Thanks!
Enjoy - I think you will love it!
What a great dessert for any Memorial Day too! I love bringing patriotic desserts when invited to a friend's for the holiday(s). Where do you find mascarpone cheese in the grocery store?
In my grocery store, its near all the other soft cheeses, like Ricotta, fresh mozzarella, etc. Creme fraiche is usually in the same area.
This the perfect patriotic dessert! Thanks for sharing!
You are welcome!
Awesome idea for 4th of July. Pinning so I'll have it handy in a few weeks.
Yes, it's a keeper for sure!
This is perfect for the 4th and so easy!
Yes I love that it can look and taste so great but also be no bake!
What a fantastic looking dessert! Looks delicious!
It really is!
This patriotic torte looks fabulous. Perfect for July 4 celebration.
It gives me one more reason to look forward to the holiday!
Looks delicious, going shopping tomorrow to buy all the ingredients!
You won't be sorry!
OMG I love mascarpone cheese with whipped cream and berries so this is my dream come true cake.
It is truly delightful!
What a perfect summertime dessert and especially for the 4th of July! I can't wait to make this for my family
They will love it!
This looks so yummy and is decorated perfectly for any holiday! I can't wait to make this cake this summer!!
It is sure to impress!
We did a test run last night and it went together so easily! We stayed up to give it a taste after it set up and it was so good! thank you!
Oh how fun! I'm so glad you like it. Once it's completely frozen, you do need to plan ahead a little for the cutting. But that mascarpone cheese layer is so amazing!!!!
What a great dessert to make for 4th of July. We're all over this.
Yes, very patriotic, right?
YUMMMM!!! Seriously, this cake is mouth watering just looking at your pictures! Well done, Sula! Pound cake is the BEST!
It is every bit as delicious as it looks!