Patriotic potato salad
For the Fourth of July, you need potato salad. Since you’re probably going to make some anyway, why not make it to celebrate the holiday?
This post is simply a different twist on my Classic Potato salad. To make it fun for the Fourth, I use red, white and blue POTATOES!
Have you seen these? They are typically sold as a “medley” of very small potatoes – usually about an inch in size. The advantage to this is that they are all about the same size, and there is no need to cut any before cooking – bonus! The small size also ensures that they cook very quickly.
How to make this potato salad for 4th of July
Just as with my Classic Potato Salad, simply boil the potatoes and eggs until done, then drain and cool. Chop the celery, potatoes and eggs and put in a bowl. In a separate bowl mix some mayo with a little Italian salad dressing and some salt and pepper. Add this to the potato mixture and stir gently to combine.
The blue potatoes are actually purplish, and usually it’s only the skin which has the pigment, but this is red white and blue enough for me. 😃
Make this fun Red White and Blue Potato Salad for your next patriotic holiday!
Red, White and Blue Potato Salad
- 2 lb petit potato medley – 3 colors
- 3 eggs
- 1 rib celery diced
- ½ c light mayonnaise
- 1 TB Italian dressing
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- Boil potatoes in salted water for about 10 minutes until done.
- Boil eggs in water for 10 minutes.
- Drain cooked potatoes and immerse in ice water to halt the cooking process.
- In a small bowl, mix the mayo, Italian dressing, and salt and pepper until smooth; set aside.
- Once they are cool enough to handle, cut potatoes into bite-sized pieces and place in a large bowl. Peel and chop eggs; dice the celery. Add eggs and celery to the bowl with potatoes.
- Pour dressing into the bowl and stir gently until all ingredients are evenly distributed.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
More patriotic food ideas
Once you have Red White and Blue Potato Salad, you'll want to try Red White and Blueberry Crumble Bars, American Flag Taco Dip, or Red White and Blue Vodka Slush. For a special dessert, try Frozen Patriotic Torte.
Blue potato fun facts
Did you know? There is actually a completely purple variety of potato. Vitelotte is a gourmet French variety of blue-violet potato. They have been cultivated in France at least since the early 19th century. 'Vitelotte' potatoes have a dark blue, almost black, skin and dark violet-blue flesh; they have a characteristic nutty flavor and smell of chestnuts. The colour is retained in cooking, and is due to natural pigments. The plants mature late and, compared to modern varieties, are relatively low-yielding. The elongated tubers have sunken eyes; and keep well due to their thick skin. (source: Wikipedia)