Time for a great summer salad that provides plenty of protein and needs no cooking. Even better, it requires only 6 ingredients, plus spices. As a vegetarian main or a side dish, this salad delivers your veggies in a delicious package!
This is another recipe from one of my favorites: The Complete Mediterranean Cookbook. It features chickpeas, arugula and carrots, plus Kalamata olives and a lemony dressing.
Since this salad uses arugula, let’s detour a minute to my backyard. This year I decided to grow a few greens in some leftover empty pots. I filled each pot with soil and used one packet of lettuce seed for one pot and a packet of arugula seed for the other. After growing for about 4-6 weeks, here are the results:
Bunnies 1, Sula 0
Bunnies 0, Sula 1
I guess the rabbits don’t appreciate the “peppery” taste of arugula. I will definitely grow this again! So convenient just to walk out and harvest it. Since I only needed a half-cup for this salad, my one-pot garden provided more than an adequate supply.
The closest this recipe comes to cooking is the chickpeas. Microwave them for 2 minutes until hot, then a simple dressing of olive oil, lemon juice and seasoning is added. Then let ‘em sit for at least 30 minutes – this helps the flavor infuse the chickpeas, rather than just being a superficial taste.
The rest of the ingredients are then added and tossed together. Season with salt and pepper, and serve.
Colorful, delicious, and healthy!
Chickpea Salad with Carrots and Arugula
- 1 can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1/8 cup olive oil extra-virgin
- 1 TB lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 2 medium carrots peeled and shredded
- ½ cup arugula (baby) chopped coarse
- ¼ c Kalamata olives pitted and chopped
- Microwave chickpeas in a medium bowl until hot, about 2 minutes. Stir in oil, lemon juice, ¼ teaspoon salt, about 1/8 teaspoon of pepper and a dash of cayenne pepper. Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Add carrots, arugula and olives and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.