Only 6 ingredients needed
Time for a great summer chickpea salad that provides plenty of protein and needs no cooking. Even better, it requires only 6 ingredients, plus spices. As a vegetarian main or a side dish, this salad delivers your veggies in a delicious package!
This is another recipe from one of my favorites: The Complete Mediterranean Cookbook. It features chickpeas, arugula and carrots, plus Kalamata olives and a lemony dressing.
Growing arugula in pots
Since this salad uses arugula, let’s detour a minute to my backyard. This year I decided to grow a few greens in some leftover empty pots. I filled each pot with soil and used one packet of lettuce seed for one pot and a packet of arugula seed for the other. After growing for about 4-6 weeks, here are the results:
Bunnies 1, Sula 0
Bunnies 0, Sula 1
I guess the rabbits don’t appreciate the “peppery” taste of arugula. I will definitely grow this again! So convenient just to walk out and harvest it. Since I only needed a half-cup for this salad, my one-pot garden provided more than an adequate supply.
How to make Chickpea Carrot and Arugula Salad
The closest this recipe comes to cooking is the chickpeas. Microwave them for 2 minutes until hot, then a simple dressing of olive oil, lemon juice and seasoning is added. Then let ‘em sit for at least 30 minutes – this helps the flavor infuse the chickpeas, rather than just being a superficial taste.
The rest of the ingredients are then added and tossed together. Season with salt and pepper, and serve.
Colorful, delicious, and healthy!
Chickpea Salad with Carrots and Arugula
- 1 can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1/8 cup olive oil extra-virgin
- 1 TB lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 2 medium carrots peeled and shredded
- ½ cup arugula (baby) chopped coarse
- ¼ c Kalamata olives pitted and chopped
- Microwave chickpeas in a medium bowl until hot, about 2 minutes. Stir in oil, lemon juice, ¼ teaspoon salt, about 1/8 teaspoon of pepper and a dash of cayenne pepper. Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Add carrots, arugula and olives and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
Pin this Chickpea salad for later!
You might also enjoy Mediterranean Chopped Salad!