I’m always on the lookout for new flavors, especially in soup. We all seem to crave a warm bowl of comfort soup this time of year, but don’t always have the hours for cooking.
So any soup that comes together in 30 minutes or less will pique my interest. Enter: Spicy Chickpea and Tomato Soup!
This soup has a lot going for it: Vegetarian? Yes! Vegan? Yes! Gluten-free and dairy-free also! For those looking to embrace more “clean” eating, this soup is clean-tastic!
The taste comes primarily from coconut milk mixed with spices: garam masala, cilantro, ginger and turmeric. The “spicy” element is thanks to onion, ground cumin and chopped jalapeno pepper. The chickpeas and tomatoes complete the recipe, providing protein and texture.
Overall, it reminds me of Indian food, especially with the garam masala and turmeric. But the jalapeno provides a surprising and pleasing spiciness that balances well with the coconut milk.
Did you know? Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, are the primary ingredient in hummus. Chickpeas are high in fiber and protein. One of the earliest cultivated legumes, chickpeas were found in Mesolithic layers in southern France which carbon dated to 6790 BC. (source: Wikipedia)
How to make this soup
To start, add onion (or shallot) and the dry spices with olive oil in your skillet or large saucepan. Sauté this mixture on low to medium heat for about three to five minutes. This will cook the onion and bloom the spices.
Then, add drained chickpeas and chopped tomatoes and jalapeno. Cook and stir for another two to three minutes.
Add the coconut milk and continue cooking for a few more minutes, until the soup is heated through but not boiling.
Adjust seasoning as needed and serve.
The recipe makes two servings but can easily be doubled.
This Spicy Chickpea and Tomato Soup is fast, easy and delicious!
More soups to love
Spicy Chickpea and Tomato Soup
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 shallot or small onion diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin ground
- 1 teaspoon garam masala ground
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cilantro fresh, chopped fine
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ginger grated
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric ground
- 1 can chickpeas drained
- 3 Roma tomatoes diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 TB jalapeno pepper diced
- 1 can coconut milk full-fat
- In a skillet or large saucepan, add the olive oil, shallot or onion and the next six ingredients (through turmeric) and sauté on low/medium heat for 3- 5 minutes.
- Add chickpeas, tomatoes and jalapenos. Continue to stir on low/medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and stir until heated through, about 2-3 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings as needed and serve.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.