When you need something quick and easy, the Instant Pot is your best friend! Combining some pantry staples with a package of chicken breasts will produce Instant Pot French Onion Chicken.
French onion soup mix and cream of mushroom soup combine with beef broth to make a delicious and savory sauce. Top with crispy fried onions for the perfect added crunch!
Make some rice or noodles while the Instant Pot is cooking and you’ll have dinner ready in 30 minutes!
This is a perfect solution for busy weeknight dinners!
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- French onion soup mix
- Cream of mushroom soup
- Beef broth
- French’s crispy fried onions (for garnish)
**Be sure to scroll to the recipe card for detailed quantities and directions**
How to Make this French Onion Chicken
To start, mix the mushroom soup with the dry onion soup packet. Add beef broth and stir.
Place the chicken breasts in the Instant Pot, then pour the soup mixture on top.
Close and seal the Instant Pot (affiliate link) and set to cook for 15 minutes on high pressure.
When cycle is done, allow to naturally vent for at least 10 minutes before manually releasing. Shred the meat into the sauce. Serve over noodles or rice and sprinkle the crispy fried onions on top.
Reasons to Love this Recipe
There is so much to love about this recipe, here are a few highlights for me:
- Fast – it’s ready in 30 minutes!
- Versatile – I’ve had this with rice and noodles and love both versions. So it can come down to mood, personal preference or maybe just what you happen to have on hand.
- Textures – in theory the crispy fried onions are optional, but I encourage you, do not skip them. They add a layer of taste and crunch that really makes a difference!
- Leftover friendly – this makes a great leftover meal!
Yes, you can leave the breasts whole if you prefer to serve them that way. Just gently lift them out of the sauce when the cooking cycle is done, place on your plate and then spoon the sauce over the rice or noodles.
Yes, I like boneless skinless thighs for this as well. They cook up tender and delicious and will shred very well.
Yes, if adding onions I would slice thinly and then sauté in the Instant Pot for 2-3 minutes before adding the other ingredients. Sliced mushrooms can be added right after the chicken, before the soup mixture is poured in.
For even more of a “French onion soup” vibe, shred up some Swiss cheese and sprinkle that over the plated sauce and noodles. If you leave the chicken breasts whole, topping them with either a slice or shredded Swiss cheese would be lovely as well.
Instant Pot French Onion Chicken will become a go-to meal for busy weeknights!
More quick Instant Pot meals
Do you love using your Instant Pot? I found a recipe for delicious butter chicken that cooks in 30 minutes - perfect! Or make a batch of salsa chicken to use in tacos, quesadillas, or a taco casserole.
Instant Pot French Onion Chicken
- 2 pounds chicken boneless skinless breasts
- 1 envelope French onion soup mix
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup 10.5 oz
- 1 cup beef broth or stock
- 1 cup crispy fried onions French’s
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the mushroom soup with the onion soup mix. Add beef broth and stir to mix.
- Add chicken breasts to Instant Pot and pour the soup mixture over the top.
- Cover and close the Instant Pot lid and set the cycle with the Meat/Stew or manual high pressure for 15 minutes. Once cycle is complete, wait at least 10 minutes before manually releasing pressure.
- Shred the chicken in the pot, or remove to shred, then return to the Instant Pot.
- Serve over noodles or rice with the crispy fried onions on top.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.