When you need something quick and easy, the Instant Pot is your best friend! Combining some pantry staples with a package of chicken breasts will produce Instant Pot French Onion Chicken.
French onion soup mix and cream of mushroom soup combine with beef broth to make a delicious and savory sauce. Top with crispy fried onions for the perfect added crunch!
Make some rice or noodles while the Instant Pot is cooking and you’ll have dinner ready in 30 minutes!
This is a perfect solution for busy weeknight dinners!
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- French onion soup mix
- Cream of mushroom soup
- Beef broth
- French’s crispy fried onions (for garnish)
How to make this French Onion Chicken
To start, mix the mushroom soup with the dry onion soup packet. Add beef broth and stir.
Place the chicken breasts in the Instant Pot, then pour the soup mixture on top.
Close and seal the Instant Pot and set to cook for 15 minutes on high pressure.
When cycle is done, allow to naturally vent for at least 10 minutes before manually releasing. Shred the meat into the sauce. Serve over noodles or rice and sprinkle the crispy fried onions on top.
Reasons to love this recipe
There is so much to love about this recipe, here are a few highlights for me:
- Fast – it’s ready in 30 minutes!
- Versatile – I’ve had this with rice and noodles and love both versions. So it can come down to mood, personal preference or maybe just what you happen to have on hand.
- Textures – in theory the crispy fried onions are optional, but I encourage you, do not skip them. They add a layer of taste and crunch that really makes a difference!
- Leftover friendly – this makes a great leftover meal!
Yes, you can leave the breasts whole if you prefer to serve them that way. Just gently lift them out of the sauce when the cooking cycle is done, place on your plate and then spoon the sauce over the rice or noodles.
Yes, I like boneless skinless thighs for this as well. They cook up tender and delicious and will shred very well.
Yes, if adding onions I would slice thinly and then sauté in the Instant Pot for 2-3 minutes before adding the other ingredients. Sliced mushrooms can be added right after the chicken, before the soup mixture is poured in.
For even more of a “French onion soup” vibe, shred up some Swiss cheese and sprinkle that over the plated sauce and noodles. If you leave the chicken breasts whole, topping them with either a slice or shredded Swiss cheese would be lovely as well.
Instant Pot French Onion Chicken will become a go-to meal for busy weeknights!
More quick Instant Pot meals
Do you love using your Instant Pot? I found a recipe for delicious butter chicken that cooks in 30 minutes - perfect! Or make a batch of salsa chicken to use in tacos, quesadillas, or a taco casserole.
If you're in the mood for beef, you can make cube steak, beef stew, or pepper steak in the Instant Pot to guarantee tender and flavorful meat every time.
Instant Pot French Onion Chicken
- 2 pounds chicken boneless skinless breasts
- 1 envelope French onion soup mix
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup 10.5 oz
- 1 cup beef broth or stock
- 1 cup crispy fried onions French’s
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the mushroom soup with the onion soup mix. Add beef broth and stir to mix.
- Add chicken breasts to Instant Pot and pour the soup mixture over the top.
- Cover and close the Instant Pot lid and set the cycle with the Meat/Stew or manual high pressure for 15 minutes. Once cycle is complete, wait at least 10 minutes before manually releasing pressure.
- Shred the chicken in the pot, or remove to shred, then return to the Instant Pot.
- Serve over noodles or rice with the crispy fried onions on top.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
Yum, I love french onion soup, never thought to add chicken. This looks like an easy yummy mid week meal.
Yes it's perfect for busy weeknights!
wow!! I would give this recipe 10 stars of I could, that's how much I love it. I'm sad I didn't know about this recipe sooner. it was so fast, so simple, and so delicious even my picky kids and picky husband LOVED it and ate it all up!! I'm still in shock that everyone ate without any complaints lol. This is officially a new family favorite and weeknight go-to!!
Oh I'm so happy your family loved it! There's nothing better than finding a new go-to recipe that everyone will eat!!
Cindy Mom the Lunch Lady
Saving this to try soon. Do you think it would turn out if I used a crockpot rather than an instant pot? It looks so delicious over those noodles!
I think it would be great with a crockpot! I've never done it, but I'm guessing about 8 hours on low would do the trick. Let me know how it turns out!
Yay for good instant pot meals!! I love a good French onion soup!
I love being able to put this together so quickly!
I love easy instapot recipes!!
Easy is the way to go!
I secretly love french onion soup mix and HAD to make this recipe!! It was SO good and disappeared in minutes. Next time, I'm making double, LOL!
I know what you mean, french onion soup mix is an amazing secret ingredient!
This french onion chicken is so delicious! So easy to to make! I loved every bite!
I'm so glad you liked it!
Alice | SkinnySpatula
This is an amazing way to cook chicken!
Isn't it great to have another way to cook chicken?
I wasn't sure if this recipe would really be this easy, but it was!!! This chicken was SO good, we didn't have any leftovers. Yay for the Instant Pot!
The Instant Pot really makes everything so easy and delicious!
This looks super interesting! Can I substitute with tofu and get the same results?
I’ve never tried tofu but its an interesting idea! Let me know if you try!