If you need a weeknight dinner for someone who craves red meat, cube steak in the Instant Pot is a great solution! Its fast, tender and full of flavor. It is old fashioned comfort food but of course made so much faster and easier in the Instant Pot.
- Cube (cubed) steak
- Cream of mushroom soup
- Beef consommé
- Olive oil
What is cubed steak?
Some say cube steak, others cubed steak. Either way, they are thin cuts of meat, usually sirloin or top round, which are flattened by pounding with a meat tenderizer. The name refers to the shape of the indentations left by that process. (Wikipedia)
Some people confuse cube steak with minute steak, but they are slightly different. Minute steak is cut even thinner and is not pounded to tenderize. It is called minute steak because it’s thin cut ensures it cooks very quickly.
How to cook cube steak in the Instant Pot
To start, coat the steaks in flour. Then heat up a little oil in the Instant Pot and add the steaks. Brown on both sides. Do this a couple at a time and then remove the steaks to a plate until all are done.
Take a little water or broth and splash it into the hot Instant Pot. Stir to release all the brown bits on the bottom of the pan. This is called deglazing, and those brown bits are called “fond” but it more properly is spelled F-L-A-V-O-R. You want that flavor mixed into your sauce, not stuck on the bottom of the pot.
Return the steaks to the Instant Pot and add the mixture of soups, mushrooms and onions.
Set the Instant Pot cycle to cook on high for 20 minutes. When the cycle is done, let the pot depressurize naturally while you make your other dishes. Potatoes, noodles and rice are all excellent choices.
The sauce as-is will be a little thin, and I prefer to thicken it some. To do this, simply mix some flour and water together to make a pour-able slurry. Remove the steaks from the Instant Pot, leaving the sauce behind. Turn on the sauté function. When the sauce begins to bubble, drizzle in some of the flour slurry, stirring constantly. Continue until the sauce is your preferred consistency.
If you enjoy this meal, you might also want to check out Instant Pot French Onion Chicken. The flavor and ease of the Instant Pot wins again!
Instant Pot Cube Steak
- 2 pounds cube steak
- ½ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 10.5 ounce can beef consommé beef broth may be substituted
- 10.5 ounce can cream of mushroom soup
- 8 ounces white mushrooms sliced or whole
- Small yellow onion chopped (or ½ medium)
- Combine mushrooms, soup, beef consommé, and onion in a bowl; set aside.
- Place flour with garlic powder, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl. Dip cube steak in the flour mixture to cover both sides. (save leftover flour)
- Set Instant Pot to Sauté and add oil.
- Add a couple steaks to hot oil and brown both sides. Remove and repeat with remaining steaks.
- Splash a little water or broth in the pot and scrape up the browned bits on the bottom, then return steaks to the pot.
- Pour the soup and mushroom mixture over the steak.
- Cover and seal. Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes, then allow to naturally depressurize.
- Remove steaks from Instant pot and check the sauce. If it seems too thin, add some water to the remaining flour from step 1 to make a slurry. Set Instant Pot to Sauté to heat the sauce. Once bubbling, stir and drizzle in flour slurry a little at a time until desired thickness is reached.
- Serve with rice, potatoes or noodles.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.