When I look at the calendar and see the word “September” I feel that summer is basically over. The autumnal equinox isn’t until September 22, so technically it is still summer in the northern hemisphere. But school is back in session and the leaves on my walnut tree are starting to fall. Summer is ending, for sure.
But before I cover up the grill for the season (ok, that’s actually not going to be for a couple months) I had to share one more grilled veggie: grilled broccoli in foil.
You’ve seen my other grilled veggie posts, right? I’ve grilled zucchini, asparagus and stuffed tomatoes directly on the grill, and potatoes in foil. I’ve grilled beets both directly and in foil. This time, I’m only grilling the broccoli in foil packets. Someday I’ll try grilling it without foil, but I was so delighted with the result when I made foil packets, that I haven’t wanted to try anything else!
What makes broccoli in foil packets so great?
For years I have steamed broccoli in the microwave. It’s so simple, and results in tender delicious broccoli in just a few minutes. I figured putting the broccoli in a foil packet and placing it on the grill would have the same effect. The moisture from the broccoli would release and the foil would enclose the heat and steam, to perfectly cook the broccoli.
I was partially correct.
In addition to the cooking action of the steam, the broccoli also gets a little browned. Because the foil is placed directly on the hot grill grate, some of that high heat causes slightly charred edges on the broccoli. The result is a veggie that tastes both roasted and steamed, with a bit of that smokey essence that can only come from a BBQ grill. Delightful!
What goes in the foil packets?
My packets only include rinsed broccoli, a little olive oil, salt and pepper, and butter.
If you would like to play with different flavors for your grilled broccoli, here are some suggestions:
- Crushed red pepper – for a little bit of spice
- A squeeze of lemon juice – a little citrus for brightness
- Parmesan cheese – because cheese makes everything better!
If you’ve never tried grilled broccoli in foil packets, you’ll want to do it right away!
Grilled Broccoli in Foil
- Aluminum foil, heavy duty is best
- 1 pound broccoli cut up (approx. one large crown)
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place broccoli pieces in the middle of a large sheet of foil.
- Drizzle olive oil over the broccoli, dot with butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover with a second sheet of foil and seal the edges well.
- Place on a preheated grill, directly on the grill grates. Close grill cover and cook 5 minutes, then flip and cook an additional 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Open foil packet carefully (watch for hot steam!). Broccoli will be ready to serve.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.