I love my seafood, especially salmon, but sometimes a simple cod fillet does just as well. Beer battered fish is practically its own religion in Wisconsin, but I wanted something a little lighter and easier than that. This potato crusted cod fits the bill quite nicely!
Instant potato flakes are mixed with seasonings and then used to coat the cod pieces before frying. It makes a lovely crunchy outer crust around the tender cod within.
- Cod – I buy fillets that are individually frozen to make it easy to thaw just enough for a meal. The recipe is enough for about 12-16 ounces of cod.
- Instant mashed potato flakes
- Italian seasoning
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- Olive oil
- Flour, all purpose
How to make this easy cod
This cod is made by frying first in a skillet and then finishing in the oven. So choose your skillet well, in order to do all this in the same pan.
The potato flakes are mixed with Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning, then drizzled with a little olive oil. Mix the oil in well. This helps the potato mix to be a little more sticky.
You’ll need 3 shallow bowls for the dipping/coating process. Start by dipping the cod in flour to coat, then in beaten egg, followed by the potato mixture. Place the coated pieces on a plate and continue until all are coated and ready for frying.
Heat a little oil in a skillet on medium high. Add the coated cod and fry for 3 minutes. Flip the cod and turn off the heat. Transfer the skillet to the oven to bake for 10 minutes.
Why I love this potato crusted cod
This cod has just enough of a crunchy outer coating to provide a wonderful contrast to the tender fish flakes inside.
I love that the cooking method is so easy and fast! And the 10 minutes in the oven is the perfect time to finish up the rest of your meal. Maybe you are mixing a salad or making French fries in the air fryer. It’s nice to have 10 minutes to complete all those other last-minute tasks so you can get that meal on the table!
Serve with lemon slices and tartar sauce, because anything less would be uncivilized!
Potato Crusted Cod
- ½ cup instant mashed potatoes
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil plus one more for cooking
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 12 – 16 ounces cod in 4 oz pieces
- Preheat oven to 400F. In a shallow dish or bowl, combine potato flakes, Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning. Drizzle olive oil over the top and mix in well to dampen the flakes slightly.
- Add flour to another shallow dish and the beaten egg to a third dish.
- Coat each piece of fish with flour, then dip in the beaten egg before coating in the potato mixture.
- Heat a little olive oil in a large skillet on medium high. Place the coated fish pieces in the hot skillet and fry for 3 minutes. Flip the pieces and turn off the heat.
- Move the skillet to the preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes to finish cooking.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.