It’s time for another classic casserole, updated to modern cooking methods. I made a good old fashioned tater tot casserole, only in the Instant Pot. Delicious comfort food with less effort – I’m all about that!
Traditional tater tot casserole requires browning the meat in a skillet, then transferring to a baking dish with the other ingredients before baking in the oven. Using the Instant Pot sauté function means this can all be done in the Instant Pot.
So not only is it faster, you also have fewer dishes to clean up!
Why I love this recipe
Any lover of comfort food classics will love this casserole. I live in the Midwest, and they are a specialty of ours!
The flavors of this meal are very similar to hamburger and potato casserole, but it is much faster to make.
Ground beef, cream of mushroom soup, some veggies, and oh yes – Tater Tots. And of course, cheese.
The essence of a casserole is that the end result is greater than the sum of its parts. The combination of ingredients makes a medley of flavors in every bite.
And by using the Instant Pot, we add another important element: easy!
How to make Tater Tot Casserole in the Instant Pot
Easy is the word of the day here!
Start with the Instant Pot sauté function and use it to cook the ground beef and onions. Add a few spices to give that beef some flavor.
Now, layer in the veggies. I use frozen beans and corn, and don’t bother thawing, just layer them on top of the meat.
One more layer: the can of cream of mushroom soup. Just scoop this over the top of the veggies, no need to stir anything at this point.
Go ahead and close/seal the Instant Pot and set a 4-minute cycle. Yes, I really said 4 minutes.
Once the cycle is done, manual release the pressure and remove the lid. Add in some sour cream and cheese and give your casserole a stir.
Now, the Tater Tots. I have an Instant Pot Air Fryer Lid, which makes this SO easy! Simply layer the tots with a little more cheese over the top of your casserole goodness. Then place the Air Fryer Lid on the Instant Pot and air fry for 10 minutes to heat the tots, make them crisp, and brown the cheese.
No Air Fryer? Just cook the tots separately in the oven according to the package directions. Then add to the top of the Instant Pot contents and sprinkle with cheese.
There’s always a way!
The beloved tater tot has quite humble beginnings. The founders of the Ore-Ida company had become big producers of frozen French fries in the 1950’s, but were disturbed by the massive amounts of potato scraps produced as waste. Their desire to find a use for these scraps is what led to the creation of the Tater Tot.
Per the Ore-Ida package, this will take 20-25 minutes at 450F. other brands may vary, so please follow the package directions for your brand.
Of course! Just cook the Tater Tots in your air fryer until they are hot and crispy, then layer into the Instant Pot just as you would when using the oven for the tots.
More comfort food classics to make in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot French Onion Chicken
- Pepper Steak in the Instant Pot
- Navy Bean and Ham Soup
- Instant Pot Cube Steak
- Split Pea Soup
- Cheesy Potato Soup
Instant Pot Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion diced
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- ¾ cup beef broth
- 12 ounces cut green beans frozen
- 1 cup corn frozen
- 10 ounce can cream of mushroom soup condensed
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 16 ounces Tater Tots frozen
- 1-2 cups shredded cheese sharp cheddar
- Turn Instant Pot on to sauté setting. Once hot, add the ground beef and break it up/stir to begin browning. Add the onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until the beef is browned, about 5 minutes. Add Worcestershire sauce and stir.
- Add the beef broth and stir to ensure nothing is sticking to the bottom of the pot, tehn turn off the sauté setting.
- Layer the green beans and corn on top of the meat, then layer the condensed soup on top. Do not stir.
- Place the lid on the Instant pot and seal. Set the cycle to cook on high for 4 minutes. When the cycle is done, manually release the pressure, then remove the lid.
- Add sour cream and half the cheese, then stir to incorporate.
- Layer the frozen tater tots on top of the casserole mixture and sprinkle with the rest of the cheese.
- Place Air Fryer Lid on top of the Instant pot and set cooking cycle to 10 minutes at 400F. No need to turn the food when the lid signals to do so.
- Once air fryer cycle is complete, the casserole is ready to serve!
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.