I love salmon, and typically have a simple filet with a squeeze of lemon and green vegetable. But sometimes there are leftovers. And somehow, re-heating the filet is not the same. What to do? Salmon patties!
As I’ve mentioned before, I am part of a salmon CSA from Sitka Salmon Shares , which guarantees I’m regularly eating healthy and reaping the benefits (hello Omega-3 fatty acids!). And just as regularly dealing with leftovers. Getting my salmon directly from Alaska ensures that it is wild-catch and sustainably harvested, supporting independent families, similar to small family farms that contribute to vegetable CSAs.
I had a recipe for patties that I used for years that was immensely popular. But when I started to experiment with keto, I knew the “bread crumb” ingredient was going to be a problem. So I looked for a keto version, and found it at hey keto mama.
The substitute for bread crumbs? Pork rinds LOL.
As an experiment, I made the old and new recipes side-by-side and gave some of each to The Carnivore as a blind taste test. The man LOVES salmon patties, and gave a “thumbs up” to both versions. Next question: Am I giving up too much taste with the substitutions?
”You know I like anything you make,” he smiled, knowing this was a feeble diversion. (and also not entirely true…) I pressed him: Pick the best one.” And he chose the keto version! This is now my go-to recipe.
I have made these salmon patties with leftovers as mentioned but also with the kind you get in pouches. If I don’t have enough leftovers, the 5-ounce pouches make a convenient supplement. I don’t use canned salmon because I feel the quality is not as good. Might just be a perception. These days, I tend to purposely cook extra salmon with the intent of having these patties a few days later 😀.
If you like salmon patties, give these a try!
Keto Salmon Patties
- 10 oz salmon cooked (pouches work great)
- 1 egg
- ¼ c ground pork rind
- 2 TB mayo
- Dash of sriracha sauce to taste
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 TB avocado oil
- Mix all ingredients except oil together in a bowl. Form into small patties and place on a plate. Refrigerate to set for at least 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium-high. When oil is hot, add patties and cook for about 4-5 minutes each side, until brown and crisp. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve with tartar or avocado cream sauce (below).
Avocado Cream Sauce
- 1 avocado peeled and pitted
- ¼ c sour cream
- 3 TB cilantro
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 1-2 TB avocado oil to thin
- 1-2 tsp water as desired, to thin
- Blend all ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth.