For months, I've seen packages of shaved meat (beef steak, pork, and chicken) at my local grocery store and always wanted to come up with a way to cook it. After much thought, I realized that a stir fry was the perfect answer.
I used to try to make beef stir fry by slicing my own beef. You know, it’s really hard to get the beef thin enough! And when the beef is thicker, it will commonly cook up kind of tough.
By starting with shaved steak, making a beef and broccoli stir fry got so much easier. It’s fast and easy enough for a weeknight dinner, and the steak is reliably tender in the yummy sauce. The broccoli and other veggies are crisp-tender, creating a perfect harmony of flavor in every bite.
Why I love this Shaved Steak recipe
Beef with broccoli is one of my favorite “Chinese restaurant” meals, but I’ve always had difficulty making it myself. Especially getting the beef right. It really is hard to slice it thin enough. Not to mention time consuming! It’s possible that I just lack the patience it requires…
I love using the shaved steak. It’s perfectly thin and ready to cook! It’s a great solution when I’m grocery shopping and have everything on my list, and then think “Ok, but what do I make TONIGHT?” I don’t have to take the meat out to thaw or anything, it’s usually thawed already. Even “mostly” thawed shaved beef will finish thawing very quickly on the countertop.
Whipping this meal together is so fast, and it is always well received. Win-win!
How to make this shaved beef and broccoli stir fry
First, add the sauce ingredients to a bowl and mix well to combine. Set aside while you start the stir fry. Also, combine the cornstarch with water for thickening so it will be ready when you need it. (You probably want to start cooking your rice at about this time as well)
Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat and add some oil. I use sesame oil, but peanut or canola oil are good choices as well. Add the veggies: onion, carrot, and broccoli. Stir fry 4 to 5 minutes, until the broccoli is bright green and crisp-tender. Remove the veggies to a bowl and set aside.
Now, heat a little more oil in the skillet. Add the shaved steak and stir fry 4 to 5 minutes, until cooked through. Add the garlic and stir fry one minute.
Pour the bowl of sauce into the skillet and heat to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 4 to 5 minutes to develop the flavor.
Give the cornstarch-water mixture (slurry) a quick stir, then drizzle it into the skillet. Stir well to combine. The sauce will start to thicken.
Now add back the cooked veggies and the sliced water chestnuts. Stir everything well to coat evenly with the sauce. If the sauce seems too thick, you can add another ¼ cup of water and mix well. More sauce is always a good thing. 😃
Once everything is completely heated through, it is ready to serve. Either white rice or brown rice works well, according to your personal preference.
If you like your vegetables to be softer, cover the skillet and let the mixture heat gently for another 5 minutes, then serve.
Need to make this on a busy weeknight? Buy the already cut broccoli florets to save time. Pre-cut carrots are also handy if you can find them. Buying those veggies already cut will make this a super-fast meal to prepare. Get the rice cooking right away because the rest will be done in about 20 minutes!
More Meal Ideas with an Asian Inspiration
- Potstickers (Pan Fried Dumplings)
- Homemade Egg Rolls
- Chicken Skewers
- Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Instant Pot Pepper Steak
- Sweet and Sour Pork Kabobs
Shaved Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
- 1 pound shaved beef steak
- 1 small or medium onion chopped
- 1 broccoli crown cut into florets (about 12 ounces)
- 1 large carrot sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 5 ounces sliced water chestnuts drained
- Oil for cooking – canola sesame or peanut
- 1 ½ cup beef broth
- ¼ cup lite soy sauce or tamari
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¾ cup water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ cup water
- Add all sauce ingredients (not the cornstarch mixture) to a bowl and mix well to combine and dissolve the sugar. Set aside. In a small cup, combine the cornstarch and water for thickening and set aside until needed.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add onion, carrot, and broccoli. Stir fry 4 to 5 minutes, until broccoli is bright green and crisp-tender. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Heat another tablespoon oil in the skillet on high heat. Add the shaved beef and stir fry (sauté) 3 to 5 minutes, until cooked through. Add minced garlic and stir fry one minute.
- Add bowl of sauce to the skillet with the meat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 4 to 5 minutes. Give the cornstarch slurry a quick stir, then drizzle it into the skillet and stir well to combine. Sauce will start to thicken.
- Add in the cooked broccoli mixture and sliced water chestnuts. Stir to coat well with the sauce. Heat mixture through, then serve over cooked rice.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.